Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Wesak Day










This year, Wesak Day coincides with Labor Day, which is on the 1st May. Normally, Wesak Day is celebrated on the 15 th Day of Chinese 4th Moon but this year, it falls on the 15th Day of Chinese 3rd Moon. Wesak Day marks the three important occasions that happen (on the full moon day on different years); which is the birth, enlightenment and passing away of the Buddha.
This year commemorates the 2551st year of Buddha’s Teaching, which is the demise of the Buddha into Maha Pari-Nibbana.
Among activities carried out on Wesak Day are Puja(offerings), chanting and also to affirm resolutions to improve our practice of the Dhamma.
Wesak Day reminds me of lotus lighting, which I normally do at Mahindarama Temple in Kampar Road, and also float processions (which I adore very much when I was young due to the colourful lights blinking and I also used to wonder how they float on the road like that! I used to think that they really ‘float’!)
Besides reflecting on this Wesak Day, I am also reminded of how I first joined in as a PPB (Persatuan Pelajar Buddhist) member during my second year and how much I have grown in learning the Dhamma.




By attending a camp last year,






To weekly dinners with members of my upali class,



And a farewell to the seniors who are my facilitators in my class :



Under one roof of dhamma, we share and we care.
Have a nice week ahead bloggers!

No comments: